Friday, July 6, 2007

I can't sleep at night....


Shocking, though it might seem to my friends, who are all too familiar with the amount of time i'm off dozing, it is true that i just can't get myself to sleep these days.

It has been three long, boring months of summer vacation and the end doesn't look anywhere near.It seems as if all i did this summer (xcept for the 1 month of project work) is stay awake at night.My 'day' starts at 3:00 in the afternoon and goes on till the early hours of dawn.That's when I realise something's wrong and when my parents' admonitions reach fever pitch I go to bed(reluctantly, I must say).And end up waking up at 2:00 in the afternoon and then the unending cycle of food,tv,net and sleep begins.

So here I am, on the world wide web (GOD bless the internet!) at 4:15 in the night to write a post about the one thing that keeps me awake all night.... sleeplessness !

I've spent the last hour doing some research( if you can call running a google search research !) on this very topic and it turns out it's pretty common.Apparently, I am a Night Owl.
These are people who are active at nights and hence feel sleepy in the day.Their opposites are called Early Birds.( are we humans or what??)

Night Owls (my clansmen !) tend to be active at night and hence find it easy to do their work during this period.But, it turns out that a majority of people are early birds.These are the kind that wake up early in the morning, religiously do their work and go back to sleep early.So, schools, offices and colleges run according to their schedule and we poor souls have to suffer.

But not anymore.The night owl has woken up!(Is it 2 already??).People have started taking us seriously and the timings for offices have been made flexible.The same can't be said abt schools and colleges.Students still go to school at 8 and collegians are punished for attendance shortage.I mean what's the point in going to college if u r asleep half the time.Wouldn't it make sense to let the students decide what's best for them? Beats me ....

ne wayz, that's all i got for now.It's 5:30 a.m now and i can already hear the birds chirping, the rooster crowing and....there's my mom getting ready to kick my ass.

If you are a night owl, then here are a few links u might find interesting: If you are an early bird, then i suggest you go ahead and try getting a kick out of staying up late.

Kevin.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

DUDE..u suffereing frm 3 months..I am suffereing from last 3 years since I joined Engineeing...

Sneha P said...

insomnia...is the one aliment..i have...
but don't have the heart to complain about it....
i love the night time....

Kevin said...

@ashish and Vitruvian, thanks for the comments guys

ketaki27 said...

hey!well written dude..ive becum a nocturnal animal since ive joined nitw..